About Me

My photo
A-red-lipstick-wearing bibliophile extraordinaire. Word nerd & Joss Whedon fangirl; Literature lover & book reviewer. Lady Libertine; Tea collector; Potterhead.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Review: Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1)

I've never been able to get into spy fiction or detective/mystery novels, it has nothing to do with my not liking them- I've just never paid them much attention before. When this was recommended to me, a silent mantra was going through my head, "I don't read spy books, I don't read spy books." I'm not really one to back away from a challenge though, and nothing can grab my attention like a book written for children.

After the untimely and suspicious death of his uncle Ian, fourteen year old Alex Rider is recruited into the world of espionage against his will. In exchange for a normal life, he agrees to complete the mission his late uncle had started- but first he has to go through an intense spy training programme.

I really loved reading Stormbreaker and I actually just want to pack up my life and become a boy spy. 
And it's just perfect for young people (not just boys, I don't think) and for anyone who loves reading children's stories. It's really easy to get through, I finished it in about 2 hours. If I'm honest, the plot is absolutely preposterous but that's half the fun of it, really. The language is really basic but doesn't hold back on the excitement, I was eager to get on with the book and found myself slightly disappointed when it ended. I can't wait to be in possession of the rest of the series! I'll try and review it in the best way I can!

Truly, this has really made me want to read more in this genre and maybe start some detective novels too. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the likes of Arthur Conan Doyle just yet I'm sure I will be given enough time.

Rating: ★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment